Foxy Announces:

Ever since the iPad, I have been reading less on the laptop :P
And hence less inclined to take pictures and review them - bad!!

Taking baby steps to come back on track!

How Starbucks Saved My Life



If it wasn't for the training session I attended, I wouldn't have got to know Ms Nice Shirt. And she wouldn't have lend me this book.

Honestly if I was at a bookstore browsing, am pretty sure I won't notice this book. But I quite like this really.


Author Michael Gates Gill

Publisher Gotham Books

ISBN 978-1-592-40404-9

Subjects Biography

How would you deal with this:- you were once at the top of the corporate ladder; you had all the luxuries in life, great title and a happy family. 


And boy you aged.. and the next blink of your eye, you were made redundant. You had an affair, your family fell apart, and you don't have enough money to wine and dine no more..


Ohh yeah, indescribable. Some would even jump off the building. 
Seriously.


But in this case, Starbucks saved the day.





I love the stories and the experiences that Michael gained during his days at Starbucks. How they'd function each day. Doing the pastry counts, the sequence of labeling their drinks, replenishing napkins and sugar supplies.

Oh, and they focus on happy employees. And treat them with great respect.
I like that :)


It was a pretty interesting read. Except that, I think Mike's thoughts wandered off a tad bit too often. Like it'll come to an interesting scene at Starbucks, and 2 blinks later, he'd remembered some stories / events that happened probably few decades ago.


So these memory trips I find them rather annoying at times, particularly entering the 3/4 of the book.


Say, I was thinkin:

- A person so successful at a big firm earning huge salary, doesn't he have savings?! He was so poor after losing his job that he couldn't afford a nice meal at a restaurant. What happened to the big good money he earned at JW Thompson?

- Really a bad ass for having an affair. What, he had a perfect loving family. WTF is wrong with people these days..

- Their lunch break is too short. Uh uh.. an hour at least pls.


- This reminds me never to be arrogant and too proud of my own achievements. Always respect the people that work with me (maybe except Ms Long Winded who likes to spam my inbox..)


All in all, I like this read. And guess what's my favourite Starbucks drink?
Green tea latte - low fat pls.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

ChatterBox


ShoutMix chat widget

Followers

Total Pageviews